Three Red Flags
If your submission has any of the following areas, it will most likely result in a rejection:
- Failure to format email subject line - This is the #1 flag I have come across. I publish
several magazines. If you haven't entered the requested subject line,
you probably haven't read the writers guidelines, either. However, mistakes happen. I'll allow one correction (send the same manuscript one more time with the correct subject line). Email formatting guidelines are at the bottom of the page. DO NOT send emails with "Poems" or "No Subject" or something similar. PLEASE help me get you published by following this guideline.
- Failure to stick to the word count - Some writers have submitted stories that were 9 pages long! How many are requested below? A maximum of three pages! Automatic rejection.
- Failure to stick to the requested content - Your submission may be terrific. But if it is 60-90% negative (yes, I have received some), it won't be accepted.
Instils a sense of well being and inspiration. Light or deep, it should be something that makes the reader want to dwell on what they read, and then reread the poem. It should be a symphony of words and sounds. Can be any form including haikus; I may include up to three in the same issue. Think unstressed, peace, relax, dream, create. (See example tab.) I prefer punctuated poems and those where the first words are NOT all capitalized.
Short Stories - Length: up to three pages, single spaced, 1.5 margins, POV 3rd. Now accepting 1st person pov if told in the perspective of an inaminate object or animal (boat, flower, pier, caterpillar). However, the story must include an event that happens to the object. Describe how the object or animal feels as it experiences the season!
Have a short introduction as to when it would be useful.
If you need to unwind after a hard day at work, try this recipe/drink...
Non-fiction Articles - Length: two pages maximum, single spaced.
Includes topics that provide ways for the reader to:
- make a difference in someone's life
- inspire creativity
- discover scenic locations for vacations
- (see Extras page for sample headlines)
Send up to five quotes including attribution.
More to come...
Email your submissions to email@example.com
- In the subject line type "Halcyon Submission: [poem, story, article, haiku collection, etc.]"
- In the body include your contact information, where you found the website, and if you know how to use the comments feature in Word.
- If acccepted, I'll be asking for a 3-5 sentence bio, an optional photo, and an optional email address for reader feedback.
I am looking forward to your summer submission!